Monday, January 31, 2011

The final word on mead

I have sang the praises of mead making and experimented with drinking new mead and frankly... enough is enough. Mead is great but you can only drink so much before putting the clear liquid back on the shelf to admire the label.

A lot of what is good about mead is making and talking about it. I read numerous blogs and web sites telling me to wait. Put your bottles away for six months to two years then drink it. I think this is probably good advice. It is setting the stage for another event, something to anticipate, something to talk about.

I can see how this mead tasting with time could become an in-house contest between batches, between years, source honeys used, mead makers... the possibilities could be endless. I think I'm getting into this wine making . Maybe it is like sports 'you have to talk the game and remember the stats'.

What about the new wine or mead taken in a stage of fermentation for a fruity zingy taste...old news from my last blog. I don't drink fast enough or hold enough parties to consume the stuff... and it is getting tart. It wasn't filtered to the same extent and it was put in a plastic bottle so explosion could be controlled Unlike its cousins who are clear and living in shiny bottles with eloquent labels the new mead is looking rather amaturish. The conversation has come to an end, but it will be tried again, and probably in sequence after great of batches of mead have been made.

I have had all the mead I need for a while......so next time new topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment